are a means of proving an argument valid, hence turning theory into fact. It is often visible if the writer has spent time developing their argument. Experienced writers build their own set of principles to maximize clear delivery. The validity of any argument relies on its source material. Simple issues may need a more straightforward approach. When you’re tackling controversial matters, it’s best to use plenty of sources for backup.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
What Is an Argumentative Essay?
An argumentative essay is a type of academic paper that introduces arguments (claims) about both sides of a particular topic. Both teams could be balanced, or one may be dominating. The tone of the paper depends on the writer’s position towards the observed issue.
The primary function of an argumentative paper is to introduce a case to the readers in a convincing manner trying to change their opinions if they have a position different from the writer’s. The idea is to show the full picture.
Experts tend to highlight three models of argumentative writing:
This paper will need an intro with a thesis statement followed by background information supported by the evidence collected from sources. A writer will have to list the reasons to support the central argument & rebuttals.
Unlike the previous one, this model of argumentative paper requires weighing both alternatives, listing the pros & cons of each, and providing a piece of advice after in-depth evaluation.
The writer has to introduce the issue, offer a personal solution, and make an attempt to persuade the audience that this particular solution is the correct one. The idea is to make the readers care about the suggested topic.
How to Pick Out the Good Argumentative Essay Topics
Findingfor an argumentative essay isn’t finding a needle in a haystack – as long as you take care to follow a few core principles.
Many controversial argumentative essay topics are prone to prejudice. They often have an unconscious aim to prove already assumed facts. When writing an essay, it is always crucial to understand both sides. Try picking a neutral topic to which you are mostly indifferent.
The basic tips to follow while selecting the ideas to discuss in your work are:
- Think about issues of your interest. Make sure that you possess in-depth knowledge of the chosen theme. Can you express the opinion about it?
- Follow the recent trends. Type some keywords in the search field of Google Trends to find out what issues related to your subject are actively discussed.
- Check access to primary & secondary sources. Surf the web to decide whether you can obtain enough credible sources to use in your piece.
- Avoid themes with a broad/general focus. The number of words or pages limits the research paper, so make the topic narrow & specific.
- Stay away from the emotionally-charged subjects. Argumentative writing is about staying calm and sober with judgments.
- Consider the target audience. Think about people that you plan to reach. Would they accept your point of view or would it result in a debate?
- Brainstorm the final list of ideas. Discuss the final list of the possible topics. Pick the idea the majority will vote for.
- Take a risk. Selecting a debatable issue has certain risks, but if a writer proves a personal position, it will result in the highest grade!
- Take your experience into account. How well do you know the topic? Did you have a relevant experience to share?
Tip from EssayPro Expert:
“It is recommended that a writer should possess an interest in the subject they cover, but the argument should not be one that they accept as the truth.”
Easy Argumentative Essay Topics
There are topics that are discussed and debated daily. It is not uncommon that most of them are banned from classrooms being cliche. If you believe you have some fresh insights on the matter, try to convince your teacher into letting you do it.
- Should Guns Be Legal?
- Should Marijuana Be Legal?
- Should Abortion Be Legal?
- Should Gay Marriage Be Legal?
- Should ‘They’ Lower the Drinking Age?
Teachers engage middle-schoolers in the debate to give them an insight into high-school level writing. These middle school argumentative essay topics often discuss the fairness of school rules and alternative curriculums.
- Should Schools Have Dress Codes?
- Should Teachers Assign Less Homework?
- Is Music Class Necessary?
- Real School vs. Homeschool.
- How Important Is Arts Education?
Argumentative essays are most rewarding in high school and are a lesson in seeing all sides of the spectrum. Here are some common argumentative essay topics for high school.
- Should High School Students Be Drug Tested?
- Banning Classical Literature Containing Offensive Language in School.
- What Is The Greatest Invention of All Time?
- Should Clothes Define Who You Are?
- Should Sex Education Appear in School Curriculums?
Argumentative Essay Topics for College
Did you know that Barack Obama only finished paying his student loans in the second year of his presidency? The value of college degrees is being questioned now more than ever. Argumentative essay topics for college require attention to details of contemporary life.
- When Do Halloween Costumes Become Over-The-Top?
- Should Companies Collect Personal Data of Users?
- When Does Comedy Become Over-The-Top or Offensive?
- What Does the College Admissions Scandal Reveals About Society?
- How Close Are We to the ‘Black Mirror’?
- For or Against Allowing Students to Carry Guns to College.
- Are Schools Doing a Good Job at Addressing Cyberbullying?
- Should School Newspapers Get Reviewed Before Publishing?
- Do Schools Help Students Explore Their Creativity?
- Is Taking Adderall to Study Unfair?
- Has the Internet Made College Education Unnecessary?
- Is It Fair to Judge a Students’ Potential by Their SAT Score?
- Are Certain Colleges Overrated Because of Their Historical Significance?
- Should the Cost of College Depend on the Degree?
- Should Admissions Officers Read College Applicants’ Social Media Pages?
Argumentative Essay Topics by Category
We have listed some topics from popular fields of study. Feel free to tackle any subject on the list – or even better – use this list as inspiration and find your topic of interest. If you need more guidance, we have hundreds of essay writers online and ready to help you out.
While some may find social media a necessary component of daily life, others struggle with procrastination as a direct result. It has arguably influenced critical political decisions and has made social media a significant and relevant field of study.
- Does Instagram Make People More Narcissistic?
- Why Are Women’s Nipples Banned in Social Media?
- Is Fake News Dangerous?
- Must Social Media Play a Role in Education?
- How Should Social Media Networks Tackle Online Bullying?
- Is Anonymous Social Media Dangerous?
- Is Proper Punctuation Important on Social Media?
- Should Social Media Pay Users in Exchange for Their Privacy?
- Should Companies Fire Clients Over Inappropriate Social Media Behavior?
- Should There Be a ‘Dislike’ Button on Facebook?
TV, Movies, Video Games
Hollywood produces heaps of content. It is no surprise that lots of it don’t undergo extensive evaluation before release. This results in students questioning the industry’s promotion of harmful stereotypes. Here you can find plenty of unique essay topics.
- Do Hollywood Movies Romanticize Sexual Harassment?
- Does American TV Capture the Country’s Diversity?
- Should Cybersports Be Considered Sports?
- Does Violence in Video Games Cause Kids To Be Violent?
- Is the Gaming World Sexist?
- What Makes a Good Children’s Cartoon?
- Do Hollywood FIlms Promote a Certain Set of Values?
- Can Good Commercials Be Considered Works of Art?
- Why Are There So Few Female Film-Makers?
Music, Literature, Art
Has digitization degraded music into a mere form of entertainment? Music argumentative essay topics have plenty of room for discussion. They touch on issues of authenticity which can also be relevant in the fields of literature and art.
- Modern Pop Music Is Recyclable — Does That Make It Good or Bad?
- In Music — When Does ‘Borrowing’ Become ‘Stealing’?
- Should Explicit Language in Classic Literature Be Filtered Like Explicit Language in Pop Song Lyrics?
- Should We Consider Banksy as an Artist?
- Are Libraries Still Necessary?
- Does Rap Count as Music?
- Is Graffiti An Art?
- Is It Right to Display Art in Public Places?
- Should Society Support Aspiring Artists?
- Is Modern Art Timeless?
- Are Mark Rothko Paintings Worth Their Cost?
Health Argumentative Essay Topics
Abstaining from eating sugar or drinking alcohol can feel like a significant accomplishment. Some people find great pride in living a healthy lifestyle. Online health blogs and web stores take advantage of this trend, so let’s check out health care argumentative essay topics.
- Are Anti-Smoking Ads Effective or Too Disturbing?
- Should Universities Penalize Students for Drinking?
- Is 21 a Fair Drinking Age?
- Should Government Review Nutritional Guidelines and Menu Compositions for School Feeding Programs?
- Are Models Abnormally Skinny?
- Should Government Regulate Sugar in Sugary Products?
Science and Technology
Space exploration has historically led to significant developments in technology. Did you know that velcro and microwaves were invented during the Moon Landing programs? Here are some science and technology argumentative essay topics relevant to daily life.
- Is Human Chipping an Absurd Concept?
- How Concerned Should We Be About Climate Change?
- Should the Development of Nuclear Weapons Be Outlawed Internationally?
- Is It Ethical to Slow Aging with Science?
- Manipulating the Human Body With Technology — When Is It Okay?
Animal testing has led to many developments in fields such as medicine and cosmetics. However, this method is often questioned from a moral standpoint. Argumentative essays about animals and their rights touch on various ethical issues.
- Ethical Questions Concerning Genetically Engineered Animals.
- Should Animal Rights Issues Apply to Insects?
- Should Animal Zoos Be Upgraded or Outlawed?
- Argue for or Against Banning Animals in Circuses.
- Are Safari Parks Better Than Zoos?
- Ethical Questions Concerning Altering Animals or Bugs with Technology.
Argumentative writing and speech are crucial skills to develop if you’re determined to keep the balance in this tumultuous world. Issues of poverty, democracy, infrastructure, foreign policy are among the most discussed in the field. In our times, it would be especially relevant to delve into argumentative essay topics on immigration.
- What Do Countries Owe Their Veterans?
- What Are the Moral Obligations of Political Leaders?
- Does the American Voting System Need to Be Altered?
- Should Rich People Pay More Taxes?
- Should Prostitution Be Legal?
- What Are the Responsibilities of Global Leaders When It Comes To the Refugee Crisis?
Funny Argumentative Essay Topics
The point of the exercise is to practice persuasive writing — therefore it is not necessary to write about something fun. However, let’s face it — some of these topics can be pretty dull to research. A solution would be picking a borderline humorous topic to light up the mood of your readers or audience. Here are some funny argumentative essay topics that will get your audience hooked merely out of curiosity.
- How The Simpsons Illustrate a Typical American Family.
- Does the World Need Superheroes?
- Why Are People Obsessed with Funny Cats Videos?
- Who Would Win In a Fight — Batman or Iron Man?